Thursday, July 18, 2013

Unfit to Ride



Hi, my name is Rose and I am an unfit rider.  That’s the term I’m sticking with.  “Unfit.”  It’s one of those ‘politically correct’ terms that are careful not to offend anyone or make one feel a lack of self-esteem.  It is just the generic term for “really shouldn’t be on a horse.”  Yeah…I like that.  Unfit to ride. 

Okay, who am I kidding?  You see the picture, right?  You have eyes, I have thighs we both see the (egads) naked truth.  Or do we? 

 A quick Google search of the question, “How much weight can a horse comfortably carry?” instantly yields 48.7 million responses.  People are talking, folks!  Skinny as a rail barn princesses are searching for the answer so they can snicker and chide the chubby rider at the barn.  Plus-sized empty-nesters have typed the question secretly into their search engine as they contemplate riding lessons.  Weekend warriors, trying to decide between the dude ranch and the ATV vacation search for the answer. 

Google says….well, the quick answer is that a horse can comfortably carry 20% of its weight in rider and tack.  Given that formula and doing the math reveals that I would need a horse that weighs about 1,500 pounds (No. I am not going to tell you how much my saddle weighs)!  Remember, though, I said that was the quick answer—as in all things there are variables. 

I spoke with Tiffany Payton, owner of Carousel Horse Farm.  Tiffany offers trail rides to riders of all shapes, sizes and fitness levels and that question comes up daily.  Here is her not-so-quick answer:

 It all depends on the fitness of the rider. 

Really?

Tiffany explains that while weight is one factor to consider, it is not the ONLY factor to consider.  Anxiety, muscle control, level of fitness, balance and experience are just as important, if not more so, than a rider’s weight.  A rider can be heavy but easier for the horse to carry if they have strong core and leg muscles, are at ease and comfortable riding and have quality tack.  The flip side is that riders who are anxious and rigid, have little core strength, poor balance or ill-fitting tack can cause even the best horse to be uncomfortable.  Remember, riding is a sport and requires cooperation between horse and rider. 

Carousel Horse Farm also employs several draft or draft-cross horses that are more suitable for heavier riders.  All of the horses at Carousel Horse Farm [insert the link again] are kept physically fit as well.  The horses work year-round, weather permitting, so they do not get out of shape through the off season.   Meticulous hoof care and attention to nutrition and overall health of the horses also keeps them in tip-top shape for their jobs.    
 
Now back to my original statement.  Am I “unfit” to ride?  Weight and appearances aside, the answer is yes.  Sitting at home in front of my computer and blogging about riding makes for very fit fingers but the rest of me should really hit the gym for a few crunches and squats before I hit the trails.  My favorite time of the year to ride is the cool, crisp days of autumn so I have a few more weeks before visiting the local gym!  I will see you on the trails!

1 comment:

  1. My husband is 6'4" and 300 lbs, and rides a 15 hh Fjord mare with no issues. I think it really depends on the seat of the rider and if you know how to ride! Can you post at a trot instead of flopping around in the saddle: that type of thing. So wish I would have found your site earlier! Spent a week in Maine in June, we live in Wyoming -- would have loved to have done one of your rides. I'll catch you next vacation!

    ReplyDelete